Stealing Thunder (The McKenna Curse, Book 1) by Patricia Rosemoor


I really wanted to like this book.  Like I really wanted to like it.

A murder.  Supernatural elements.  Romance.  It hits most of my buttons.

But, I really just didn't love it.  I really wanted to.

The first thing that struck me was the supernatural elements in the prologue.  It starts on a Lakota Reservation in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It's not clear what time frame we are talking about.  And the Lakota characters seem... I don't know... simple...

And then, chapter 1 gets us to the present day.  Or, at least I think so.  They're filming a movie on the Reservation. And there's an Irish guy with some "abilities" and a half-Lakota woman who is the daughter of the Shaman that we meet in the prologue.  And, yeah.  I get why they would be attracted to each other, but I was like... eh. The Lakota elements just made me really uncomfortable.  I had a hard time believing that the residents of the reservation would act the way they did in the prologue.  (That behavior is explained by the end, but still...)

But, as for the "rating" that this blog is based on: It's a Dog Who Likes Cuddles.  There is a killing at the beginning and there is a murder of someone we wish wasn't dead that the protagonists are investigating.  Oh, and supernatural elements.

Comments

Popular Posts